How do I use my EAP?

By phone: 888-775-2236 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST.


After hours and weekend emergency or crisis: 888-775-2236.

By e-mail: Initiate a request for service by completing the Referral Request form.

How do I use an EAP for counseling?

There are several convenient ways to use your EAP services:

  • By phone: 888-775-2236, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST
  • Afterhours and weekend emergency or crisis: 888-775-2236
  • Initiate a request for service from the “Contact Us” tab


What do I need to do to see a counselor?
We maintain a substantial list of trusted counselors. Call 888-775-2236 and we will identify an appropriate match from our panel.


Who will I see?
You will be referred to a counselor who has a Master’s degree in behavioral sciences, counseling, social work or a related field.


Who is eligible to use the EAP?
Employees and their household family members are eligible for the EAP counseling services. Eligible family members may include your legal spouse and natural children, adopted children, stepchildren, children who are related to you either directly or through marriage, common-law spouse and same gender domestic partners.


What happens when I call Balance?
When an employee or family member contacts Balance, an Intake Specialist will collect some identifying information and a brief description of your needs. The Intake Specialist will then refer you to a counselor where you live. If you are not satisfied with your counselor you may call Balance and we will make a different assignment.


What happens next?
Once the Intake Specialist provides you with contact information for a counselor it is your responsibility to call the counselor’s office to schedule an appointment. Tell the office staff that you wish to use your EAP benefit. Balance will send all the necessary paperwork and billing information to the counselor to whom you were referred. Your counselor should contact Balance if there are any questions about payment for services.


During the initial EAP appointment(s), the counselor will review your issues and develop a plan of action. Options may include:


• Continued counseling though the EAP.

• Referral for alternative treatment through the employee’s health insurance.

• Referral to a community based program (Alanon, AA etc.)

• Combination of the above.


Do I have to pay for this service?
Balance is an employer prepaid program, so there is no charge when employees or their family members use the service. However, if the counselor refers you to other resources, there may be costs for which you will be responsible.


Will anyone know if I use the EAP?
Balance EAP services are confidential. This means that Balance EAP will not disclose any information about you to anyone else without your expressed approval and authorization except in the case of a medical emergency or legal requirement mandating disclosure, or unless you pose a clear danger to yourself or others.


Please ask your counselor if you have any questions concerning your privacy and the confidentiality of your records.

Chat with us
Chat with us
Questions, doubts, issues? We're here to help you!
None of our operators are available at the moment. Please try again later.
Our operators are busy. Please try again later
Have you got a question? Write to us! *This chat feature is for information only. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please call 911. If you would like to access your counseling benefit, please contact us by phone 888-775-2236.
This chat session has ended